Re: Scripting with Window-Eyes and Homer Layout

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:29:08 -0400 (EDT)

Here is some evidence for my statement about the Numpad with JAWS.
Below is an excerpt from a tutorial distributed with the product.

Jamal

Reading Screens and Documents

Many speech functions in JAWS are accessed by using the numeric keypad
(NUM
PAD) located on the far right side of your keyboard. Usually this NUM
PAD is
used to type numbers so you must turn off the number lock function. Do
this by
pressing the NUM LOCK key in the upper left corner of the NUM PAD.

JAWS uses the INSERT key at the bottom left of the NUM PAD in
combination with
the other keys on this keypad to control what JAWS will speak.

To start JAWS reading the screen, press the key combination INSERT+DOWN
ARROW.
This is the Say All command. While using the Say All command, you can
press
the LEFT or RIGHT ARROW keys to rewind or fast forward through the text.
You
can also press PAGE UP or PAGE DOWN to increase or decrease the speech
rate.
To halt speech, press the CTRL key.

Tip: JAWS can automatically switch to a more natural-sounding voice when
reading with the Say All command. To choose which speech synthesizer you
want
to use, open the Utilities menu and choose Configuration Manager. Next,
open
the Set Options menu and choose Say All Options. For more information,
see Say
All Options Dialog.

Here are the rest of the keystroke combinations using this keypad and
the name
of the command.

NUM PAD 5Say Character
INSERT+NUM PAD 5Say Word
INSERT+NUM PAD 5 twice Spell Word
INSERT+LEFT ARROWSay Prior Word
INSERT+RIGHT ARROWSay Next Word
INSERT+UP ARROWSay Line
INSERT+HOME (7)Say To Cursor
INSERT+PAGE UP (9)Say From Cursor
INSERT+PAGE DOWN (3)Say Bottom Line Of Window
INSERT+END (1)Say Top Line Of Window
CTRL+INSERT+DOWN ARROW Start Skim Reading

On