Re: Looking for good replacement for Windows OneCare

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:46:19 -0400

Is there a reason why you would not want to use the anti-virus / malware
solution that is an improved version of One Care?  Microsoft Security
Essentials is the free natural follow on product.  It works great and is rated
better than One Care was.  I personally use the Windows Firewall as well.  Even
the Windows Firewall is too restrictive for me when I try out certain media
streaming and sharing protocols.  I can not imagine having a very restrictive
firewall, as most paid versions are.  All routers provide some protection, but
not invincible.

I use Image For Windows from TerabyteUnlimited.com to make regular disk image
backups.  It costs about $40 outright, not a yearly subscription.  After all,
real peace of mind comes from a solid backup strategy.  The only sure way to
clean out a virus is to restore a known good image or install everything from
scratch!  I thought that was worth $40.  If you do not there are other good
solutions, some are even free.  In addition, I keep synched copies of all data
to another computer in the house using Karen's
replicator.

Don Marang