Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:46:06 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

I think you are confusing Linux with the Linux distributions.
Linux OS is just the OS, just the kernel, while the distributions use to add

Yes, "linux" means the kernel (currently 2.6.x.x)

different programs to it.

Well they come with different programs, and patches to the kernel and a different package manager.

Some of them are better accessible and some are not.

Not really.
Some come with stuff preinstalled.
That is the only difference.
They all usually have it available in the repos...
Otherwise you just have to build from source...

I don't like to spend my life installing and testing many Linux distributions and learning about the difference among them, and I don't like to need to use yum on one of them or rpm, and .deb or apt-get under others, because I got other jobs to do.

Stick to one distro.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/