Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 18:33:44 +0300

From: "Daniel Dalton" <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK, well I don't drive, but I see your point. I take that "to bad" back and I'll say "Linux is a fantastic OS since it has lots of documentation

You are nice. :-)

Yes, maybe. But those "lots" are extremely fewer than Windows users. Don't you agree?

Yes, but they are the ones that want to explor and have a better experience...

Well, I also want to have a better experience, but I don't have the time for experiments, so I prefer to let other persons to make experimentations, and when many of them will start using Linux, I might do the same.

The average earnings on a person in a country might not be the biggest in the world, and well, most of the citizens from that country prefer not to go to those countries where they could live better after some years of study and experimentations. This is not because they are lazy, but because they have their habits, their friends at home, because they are used to do some things in a certain way, to speak a certain language, and so on. That's why some users prefer to do the things how they like now. It doesn't matter the OS. The sighted users prefer to do some things with the mouse, even though it could involve much attention to move the mouse pointer over a small button and then press it, or drag and drop some files in another location, much much work than pressing 2 hotkeys with the keyboard. But they still prefer the mouse, because they don't need to remember what hotkeys they need to press, even if those hotkeys could be very easy to remember.

How often does windows crash or ask me a stupid question?

Not very often. Windows XP is not Windows 98...
Linux also create such problems.
A few days ago I've seen that I can see a directory mounted with cifs, but I couldn't see the text appended to a remote log file. I was seeing just the first part of that log file, even though from another computer that had a connection with that remote computer I've seen that that file is updated fine. I've unmounted the path and I've mounted again, but I continued to see just that first part of the file.

I've also used the ls command in /mnt, and after a fewseconds of waiting, it shown the list of mounted directories, but it also gave an error telling that one of the directories is not a valid host, or that it can't be found, or something like that. And this without entering in that directory, but just listing it's parent directory.

I've tried to unmount that path, even with the parameters for unmounting by force, but it didn't allow that, and I even tried to delete it, but it alsodidn't allow me to do it.

I told the system admins, and they've also tried a few things, but finally they told me that I need to try to restart the server and that maybe after this... it will work fine.
After restarting it, it works fine, of course.

Linux never does this.
Sometimes you need to pay for the good things. :-)

Not in this case. :-)

Well, I think that this case also applies.
The system admins told me that we would better ask to buy a Red Hat Enterprise than to use Fedora, because it is more stable.

So? Why should I care that Linux is open source?

Aren't you a programmer?
Don't you like trying out latest bug fixes and new features instead of waiting?

For some things like the perl modules yes, but for the OS... I can do the Windows updates, but I had never updated the Linux kernel...

What if I want to do more advance things? Like I'm not sure, but say set up a network share or perhaps configure my firewall or test it.

These can be done by beginners under Windows.

How about ssh or doing some advanced stuff in apps.

The Windows users don't really like with SSH.

what about editing configuration files?

And this neither.

Octavian