Re: C# express

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:45:31 -0400

Continuing on answering your questions: When I test a project I just hit F5 or ctrl+f5. The project will then run. If any errors are encountered in the code itself the project will not compile and you can look at a list of the errors in a ListBox. You can then click any of the errors in that listbox and you will be taken to the line of code in your project that generated the error and you can fix it. You clean up your compile by fixing all the listed errors and then run your project again. If there is a critical runtime error you will get an error message and you terminate the test by hitting alt+f4 and are returned to your code. Now, in your code you use something called Try Catch blocks to trap runtime errors and produce detailed messages from yourself and from the system about where and why the error occured. There is a RealTime Debugger in the IDE which allows for running a test, stepping through the code one line at a time and a bunch of other goodies but I never used it since my programming techniques are adiquit with the Try Catch methodology and my use of custom log files I create for myself. So, I add some code to a form like Form1, wire up an event perhaps with a message box to display hellow world, then hit f5 to run the project. If there is an error in what I typed the error appears in the error list during compiliation, I click it and am taken to the line of code in the vb code where the error occurs. Then I fix my mistyped word, close the vb editor and hit f5 again. This time the form comes up and I click the button I added to the form. The words Hellow World pop up in the TextBox I added along with the button to the form. This is how I do a compile and test a form in Vb.net and it is the same in CSharp. You open your form in the Forms Designer, You drop a button on the form, you position the button using it's properties Window, and add a click event for the button. Then you add some code, in vb, MessageBox.Show( "Hello World" ) to the subroutine stub added to your code for the form's Click Event and you are ready to test the page. So you click f5 or ctrl+f5 and the form is displayed. You click the button and the message should pop up. But, first you need to make your IDE Accessible to your screen reader or none of this will work as advertised...

Rick USA