Re: A real newbee

  • From: Tyler Littlefield <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:30:22 -0600

C++ is very kind to you. It lets you decide in which foot you'd like to shoot
yourself in. I can't think of another language that lets you allow to shoot
yourself in either foot so many different ways, you can really be creative with
how you do it.

C++'s feature set is a bit daunting. I'm just now starting to fully dive into
templates. I understand the basics, but when you get to templates and other fun
messes, things begin to become a headache.

                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 7, 2010, at 11:25 AM, qubit wrote:

> I agree that C++ can be daunting even for someone experienced in software
> development -- that is if you try to learn its full feature set.
> Java is kind of related to the C languages, borrowing a lot of its syntax,
> but C++ and Java are very different in both syntax and semantics (for the
> newbie, semantics are the meanings of the statements you write -- what the
> statements do as opposed to the way they are written.)
> Java is object oriented but unline C++ it also implements "garbage
> collection" as part of the language support, so you don't have to explicitly
> worry about your memory management.  Also Java doesn't support multiple
> inheritance like C++, and it enforces object oriented style to a greater
> degree.  (C++ allows all kinds of old fashioned C code mixed with the OO
> code, in order to be backward compatible with C. But in doing so, it breaks
> the OO paradigm and so, as they say, it "gives you enough rope to hang
> yourself" if you aren't careful.)
> Finally Java doesn't allow pointers, except for parameters passed by
> reference.
> There are probably more differences, but I actually am a newbie to Java,
> having done C++ for a very long time.
> I like Java -- at first it's kind of like wearing a straight jacket when
> you're used to C++, but in time the restrictions get to be natural, and let
> you focus on the high level design while ignoring the low level details.
> HTH
> --le

>>> vcsetup.exe
>>> vcssetup.exe