Re: A real newbee

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 11:46:14 -0500

I would recommend starting with C, using a text editor to write simple
progrrams and command-line compilers to test and run them. That way you
get a knowledge of the basics of the language. Plunging directly into an
IDE makes learning the language just that more difficullt, unless you
are accustomed to using an IDE for another language. After mastering the
basics of C, it might be better to move on to Java instead of C++. Java
has a syntax similar to C and incorporates the things learned by
developers from C++. Bookshare has O'Reilly books that are very good for
learning C and Java. These are the Nutshell books. I use them myself.

John

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 09:50:42PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> vbsetup is for visual studio .net, vc is visual c++, and vcs is visual c#.
> vwd is web developer.
> If you know c, I recommend c# or c++. Having started out with that first, it
> seems to be the best route because you can easily learn other languages from
> it.
> So all you need is a c++ tutorial, the msdn, google and your IDE and life is
> great.
>
>               Thanks,
> Tyler Littlefield
>       http://tds-solutions.net
>       Twitter: sorressean
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 9:47 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm wondering if someone could please give me some idea where to start?
> > Back in the 80's I got to know BASIC programming under apple dos and MS dos
> > quite well.  Also in the 80's I had some COBOL, some c, and some assembler
> > under ms dos.  I would now like to learn a little about programming under
> > 32 bit windows (xp).  It could be c or basic.
> >
> > I have now downloaded these files from ms:
> > vbsetup.exe
> > vcsetup.exe
> > vcssetup.exe
> > and
> > vwdsetup.exe
> > .
> >
> > Which of these do I install?  What is my next step?
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> > Howard

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com