Re: [PCWorks] IP Addresses

  • From: Ben Moore <bgml46@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:31:11 -0400

Clint,

He's using a router/modem.  It's an ActionTec GT724R.  I've got the manual
for it.  It's a pretty standard router/modem for dsl.   Those asx links I
sent should paste into Window media player and work without any special
router set up. No port numbers required.  The links he sent paste into
Windows media player and play immediately too.  I just him to try those asx
links I sent and see what happens.

Actually there are two sets of login/passwords in the router.  One set is
for the modem to login to the ISP.   The other set is for the user to access
the router/modem settings.  Neither of those are a problem.  He can access
the Actiontec router logs and he's getting on line.

Ben

From: "Tom"

I know this problem is confusing but I'll try to answer the
questions. This is unrelated to my streaming problem, it's to
clear up a few things with Clint.

Quite a few years ago I switched from EarthLink DSL to my
current ISP, pa.net. They gave me a DSL modem which they said
was configured with my user name, password and other
information the modem needed and said I could not access
anything in the modem. I think it's a Zyxel, possibly a 645M.
I'll verify this when I can. I used it for several years
before purchasing the ActionTec.

Yesterday, I wanted to try it to see if my audio streaming
problem would go away. It would not connect to my ISP
probably because pa.net changed my user name when they
changed DSL providers. On the back of the modem is an on/off
switch, an RJ11 connector, an RJ45 connector and a serial
port. I can not find a reset button. I was poking into every
small opening I could find but no reset. I connected the
modem to my com2 port but couldn't find any way to get
information from it or to it.

I was just looking on the pa.net support page. I found
instructions on connecting the modem. They said, after
connecting the phone cable, etc., there should be a green or
yellow light for 10m or 100m. If not, call.

In searching on Google, I saw something about the modem being
in bridge mode which prevented browser access. It said after
switching the modem to DHCP mode it would then be accessible
but I couldn't find how to do this. I'm sure configuring the
modem has to be done through the serial port.

I'll write a different message about my streaming problem.

Tom

** Your Message **