-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ideas for new laptop

  • From: "Bob - The Keyboard Cowboy" <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:15:52 -0700

I just bought four new laptops.  My wife just retired and we're setting up
our "technologies" to suit our retired life.  I bought her a new Sony Viao.
I can provide specs if you're interested.  We paid around $1500 if memory
serves me right and it has 8 GB RAM and a Blu-ray player.  She's been very
happy with it so far.

I bought a Dell XPS Studio 16 for myself with a Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz
(3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache), 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, and a 256GB Solid
State Hard Drive.  I have several Dell XPS 1530s and I love them so I had
high expectations for the new laptop.  Let me make it short and sweet - the
XPS Studio 16 is the fastest laptop I've ever used and exceeds very
expectation.  I'll be selling my XPS 1530 if anyone is interested.

Now, having given glowing accolades for the Dell XPS Studio 16, let me say I
also bought a couple of laptops I always wanted to own.  I bought a
Alienware M17x with 4 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM, and duo-core processor, and dual
260 video cards.  The computer is FAST.  It's fun.   It's........so gamey
<laugh>  I got it off eBay, two months old with full warranty, and only paid
$2000 for it.  I liked it so much I bought another Alienware that was only
three weeks old and with much better specs - Quad-core processor, 8 GB DDR3
1333MHz RAM, dual 4870 video cards, and 1 TB RAID 0 HDs.  It's REALLY FAST
<laugh>  I bought this one off eBay as well and saved about $1500 - the
Alienware computers are ridiculously expensive.  By the way, for those who
fear buying computers on eBay (a reasonable fear), I registered both with
Dell and they are, indeed, legitimate and under warranty.

Let me put things in perspective though.  For normal tasks (email, internet,
Word, Excel, etc.) the XPS Studio 16 will outperform the Alienware
computers.   The new, upper end, Core i7 chipsets are very, very fast.
Additionally, the batteries last a reasonable time.  The computer cost is
very reasonable.  I highly recommend them for mortal human use <chuckle>

The Alienwares are in a world by themselves.  If you play games, or do
intensive Photoshop work, etc., there is nothing that compares to them.
They are faster than almost all desktop computers.  That comes with a price
to pay, both in $$s and in other attributes.  The Alienware weights about
12.5 pounds......hardly a laptop to carry around!   It also eats batteries
<laugh>  It's really designed to me a computer than can be moved around, not
a laptop for the road warrior.  The frame is extremely strong and it houses
not laptop components, but regular desktop components.  The heat dissipation
is extremely good for a laptop.....even for a desktop.  The keyboard is lit,
and extremely tactile.  Let me tell you though, they are indeed fun to play
with <G>  My wife even likes them!!!

My wife and I decided to actually put these Bad-Bay Alienwares to use.  We
put them in our kitchen, one in Scottsdale and one in Cincinnati, and use
them to do all kinds of things while in the kitchen.  Admittedly, we don't
begin to use the power they have, but they are fun for my recipe program
with over a half million recipes - you can bet they search FAST through
those recipes <chuckle>  We even bought HP WIFI printers so we can print
stuff right there in the kitchen.  It probably sounds like an over-kill, but
it's very convenient and useful - we love it.

Regards,

Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"
           ,,,,,,,,
          Õ¿Õ¬