-=PCTechTalk=- Re: saving files before format

  • From: "RecklessMaverick" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:18:35 -0500

Since some viruses can turn off some anti-malware software, I would
disconnect from the internet (physically unplug the internet from the
computer) then reformat, install OS, install anti-malware software, connect
to the internet, update OS and anti-malware software and then scan every
CD/DVD-R or CD/DVD-RW, thumb drive, memory card, external drive and any
internal drive or partition that was not reformatted.

It is extremely crucial that you scan any software downloaded from the
internet before you reinstall it.  I would prefer to go online and download
the newest version and then scan the new version before installing.

I agree with KB about scanning jpg files but would extend it to every single
file before you copy them back to the computer.

Don