-=PCTechTalk=- Re: = can't save [xphomes2]

  • From: "ted" <ted.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:24:25 -0000

hi troth - here it is ----
========================
hi gang,
I've got a good one here!!
when I click file/save, in word, the pop-up flashes for less
than a second then disappears;
in WordPad and notepad I don't even get to see it. Straight
after, the job I'm working on disappears.
I,m continually d/l'ing and uninstalling, and often get into
scrapes that I have to struggle to get out of, but this one
has stopped me in my tracks; i can't work anymore.
At least, i'm getting a good rest! if it weren't for the worry.

As a last resort, I 'restored' 3 times [all I had] to no avail.
help Ted
=========================
just found another symptom !
attempting to d/l a zip file, the 'save to' comes up
greyed-out and it won't delete; I can only get rid of it
using the 3finger-salute.  Ted
=========================
Ted, can you just reiterate the problem again? I've been doing
selective reads, and I honestly didn't read the original
problem. Or, if someone has the post, just forward it back to
the list. Thank you.
=========================
hi troth
I'm slimming-down my HD in preparation for reinstall, if I have
to.
'i-tunes' is one I can do without, but using controlpanel does
not take it out.
it remains totally undamaged and fully usable after the 'install
shield wizard'
has come and gone.
any ideas before I simply delete it.
cheers ted
==============
thanks Don, it is my laptop [XP failure], without doubt.
I don't have Norton.
how does one use ,Dr Watson ?
in w98 my next step would have been to go to system tools and
laboriously
gone through the system files repairing or replacing each one
that looked
suspicious !
reinstall is a long way off while I can still use IE and OE
successfully
cheers ted
===============
From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: = can't save [xphomes2]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:33:20 -0500
I'm trying to limit the scope of the problem and so far nothing
has helped
do that.  For example.... is it ONLY document files (rtf, txt
and doc) or is
it ONLY on a single computer or ONLY in Microsoft software....
you get the idea?
With regard to items 8 and 9:  If you copy file(s) to a CD or
floppy disk
and take them to a different computer do they edit and save OK?
If yes, that virtually eliminates file structure and file
content as
possible causes of the problem and points a very strong finger
at your computer... hardware or software...  and I would aim
towards the software. Since SAVE and SAVE AS involve basic
operating system functions I would suspect corruption in your OS
and suggest a repair or reinstall r at least run a diagnostic
and
repair tool like Norton WinDoctor. If no, I would suspect the
software is creating a corrupt file and would look for something
in common between the various programs where the problem
occurs, such as a shared file.  Or, if the problem is across
different
software and software publishers (in other words, some
non-microsoft software is included), I would again suspect
corruption in your OS and suggest a repair or reinstall or at
least
run a diagnostic and repair tool like Norton WinDoctor.  Don