-=PCTechTalk=- Re: = can't save [xphomes2]

  • From: "ted" <ted.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:04:34 -0000

thanks Don
I'm going for the 'os' [xphome sp2].
it does everything but 'save [as]' and allied functions such as
'print', therefore the failure is very specific.
cheers ted
------------------------------
From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: = can't save [xphomes2]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:38:07 -0500

I don't know anything about Dr. Watson.  If you have it, you
should also
have a help file plus you could log on to the website and peruse
the support
pages and forums.

I'll take your word that the problem is limited to your laptop.
That leaves
two possibilities...

1.  Software... corruption in the program kernel(s) or the
shared file(s)
common to all software where the problem exists.  This includes
the
operating system.  I would start here.  Search the MS OFFICE
and MS WINDOWS
support/update sites and make sure you have all the patches and
updates.  I
know you said you've done that, but double check anyway.  Search
the
Knowledge Base for the problem and possible solutions.  Ditto
the MS
newsgroups.  If no luck there.... Backup all the affected data
files first
and then uninstall the software, clean the registry and then
reinstall the
software.  If the problem still exists, back up ALL data and
move on to the
operating system.  First, if W98 offers a repair option try
that.  Then try
to install over the existing installation (I really do not
recommend that,
but some people like to try it first... it might save a little
work and in
theory does no harm to existing data files).  Then as a last
resort move on
to a clean install of your operating system.  (I personally,
would skip the
software uninstall and go straight to the OS install, but some
folks are
intimidated by that process and will do literally everything
else and a
little more before attempting that.)

2.  Hardware.  With a laptop it is difficult to trouble shoot
because of the
physical structure.  It is also difficult in some PCs where what
used to be
expansion cards are now integrated in the motherboard.  In a PC
I would try
swapping out some parts... RAM first, then the harddrive
controller and then
the harddrive itself.  If that doesn't find anything I would try
flashing
the BIOS to see if an updated BIOS fixes the problem.  I would
save the BIOS
flash for the absolutely last ditch effort to fix the problem,
because in
some circumstances, if you botch the flash, you have to replace
the BIOS
chip.

Don