-=PCTechTalk=- Re: backup pictures?

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:47:05 -0800

You can do this a bit easier.

I get new scrapbook stuff almost daily and many days there are a few folders
I have to create.
I have about 60 GB of data in that directory.  I actually gave it its own
drive letter.
I do a full backup about every week or two.  But, I will do an incremental
backup every day or two. If I got a lot of stuff one day....like the big
Thanksgiving sales tee hee!)  then I will do an incremental backup.

What I do is sort the directory by date.

Any folder that has a file that has been added or changed...gets sorted by
that date.  (I did not know this..I just found out by sorting them by date
and saw that a file I had for six months was showing up with the new
ones...and then I remembered that I had added a file to that folder that
day.  That is when I realized how that sort by feature worked!

Then..I just highlight the files that have been created/modified since my
last backup and copy them to my backup drive.  I say Yes...to overwrite
all...so it will continue copying.

Now this hard about this....if you changed the name of a file..... it will
still exist in the old folder..and you will have the old file and the new
file with the new name..in the old folder.
The danger of doing the saying yes.... to overwriting files is delete a file
from our new folder and then  named a new file you added to the folder  with
the name of the old file...you will overwrite the old file in your backup.
Just a word of warning.....

If this is not clear..just holler.....

This is a simple process..and it works for me.

hugs,
Rose
Las Vegas
From: Mike the mod
Date: 12/01/05 18:15:35
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jo-Ann,
I rename all the photos I store on my computer.

Create folders within the photo program you use.

I have at least one folder for each year, and sub folders within it for=
  Family, Cars, my last holiday<G> etc.

CDR disk are quite inexpensive, less than $0.25CDN each.
burn your photos to the CD right after down loading  for back up purposesard
drive may fail.

I fill up the CD by backing up the older folders to bring it up to the 650=
  to 800 mg that they hold.

Mike the mod
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 12/1/2005 at 5:57 PM Jo Ann Weaver wrote:

I am a picture nut, especially since I've got my digital camera. I have one
partition on my computer just for pictures. Occasionally I back them up to
CDs. Here's my question. I have like 10 gigs of photos now, taking more all
the time. How can I avoid backing up the same pictures over and over, yet
not miss any of the new ones?

Jo Ann