-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Pccillin Firewall (was Deleted Mail)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:46:41 -0400

Morning Lee

Just because a computer has Pccillin on it doesn't
mean the firewall is enabled (tho it would be silly
not to be unless something else was installed to
replace)   However your second comment of the popups
leads to believe it was installed and working
properly as the pop up notices would have been alerts
to programs trying to connect out (your programs
requesting permission)  or IN  others trying to
probe/hack you.  Once the firewall program is set up
and configured properly for your inernetable programs
(webbrowser/email etc) then the notices can be turned
off so they don't bother you any more,  with the
notices turned off and logging enabled you can at any
time check up on what is happening in the background.

All of that was just a " so you were aware"  for
later or for others who may encounter the same
problem in the future since you appear to be quite
satisfied with Nortons and zonealarm.

Christy

On 7/25/02 at 07:21 AM Lee Rhodes wrote:

>Thanks for informing us of that Christy, I wasn't
aware of it. I know my
>new
>computer had it on it, but nothing was said about a
firewall and I really
>hated those annoying pop-ups all the time so I took
it off and installed
>Norton's System Works 2002 and zone alarm.  I prefer
the maintenance