-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Monitor "locks up"

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:48:36 -0400

HB,
    I may be wrong, but it sounds like it may be related to some Power
Saving setting on your system (Standby or Hibernation are the most likely
suspects here).  My advice is to take a look at the setting and see if one
of those is selected.  In WinXP, you can find the settings at Control Panel
 > Power Options.

    On the first tab (Power Schemes) set "System standby:" to Never.  Then,
click on the Hibernate tab and make sure "Enable hibernation" is NOT
checked.  Those two procedures will ensure that your computer doesn't go to
sleep too deeply on ya.  If you actually have to make either of these
changes, let us know which one (or both) you had to do.  If the computer no
longer exhibits these symptoms, you'll know that this was the cause.  Then,
you'll want to give some thought as to whether you want to reenable them to
help save on your electric bill.        :O)

    Oh, and if you're curabout the other setting on that first tab, I keep
my Win2000 & XP systems Power Schemes set to "Always On".  It allows the
computer to automatically turn off my monitor after 20 minutes to save my
backlight (LCD's) and picture tube (CRT's) from burning out prematurely (it
actually just darkens the screens rather than turn them completely off).  Of
course, my computers often run for days between reboots and sometimes weeks
before they're turned completely off, so it makes sense for me to be energy
conscious.

Peace,
GMan