-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Monitor "locks up"

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:45:57 -0400

Good Afternoon, Ms. Beach.             :O)
    Home Office/Desk is the default upon installing Windows.  Changing it to
Always on is one of the first things I do to customize a system for my own
use (since my systems remain on between reboots for longer periods than
most).  You can see what each one does right on that same tab.  Change it
and watch the power saving features readjust the time it waits until turning
off different devices.  As long as you have the system set to never use
Standby or Hibernate, a quick mouse movement or pressing a key on your
keyboard (that infamous 'Any' key) will bring everything right back up for
you.

    I'm not saying that to suggest that everyone should turn off those two
settings.  It's just that those two are the ones that make it take longer
for Windows to recover from its sleep modes.  Standby puts Windows into a
deeper sleep than any of the power schemes and it could take a minute or two
for Windows to come back up when you move the mouse.  Hibernate even writes
the contents of your RAM to the hard drive and then turns everything off
except the mainboard and its own ability to recognize a mouse movement of
keyboard press.  Hibernate takes much longer than Standby to recover.
Still, these two modes definitely have their place if you often walk away
from your computer for long times without shutting down first.  When using
either or both of these two settings, he difference in your electric bill
could be significant.

    Energy Star is an electronics industry specification that manufacturers
have to meet in order to display the Energy Star emblem.  However, there are
different versions of the spec with (as far as I'm aware) the newest being
4.0.  I suspect that only systems complying with the latest version have
this setting available.

Peace,
GMan