-=PCTechTalk=- Re: GMan --Re: Re: Video Card Question

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:33:12 -0400

Jo Ann,
    Your resolution is extremely close to that 4:3 setting that CRTs require
(1200 X 900 would be a 4:3 ratio).  The difference probably lies in the fact
that CRT's require more horizontal pixels so the electron guns inside the
monitor can fill some of the space behind the plastic enclosing the picture
tube.  If they didn't do this, you would see how the individual pixel lines
curve and warp at the far sides of the picture tube (just a limitation in
controlling those guns at the far ends of their travel paths).  LCDs don't
use guns to create images so they can show all of the sides of the screen
without fear of visual distortion.  Since they're showing more (all,
actually) of the sides, they also need to increase the height of the pixels
shown as well.

Ok, I just re-read what I typed above and can easily see how I may end up
confusing some folks with my thinking on this.  If that's the case, just let
me know where I lost you and I'll do my best to clarify what I mean.
:O)

Peace,
GMan