-=PCTechTalk=- Re: GMan --Re: Re: Video Card Question

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:21:57 -0400

Rudy,
    My card didn't offer widescreen resolutions until after I had installed
the monitor's driver disk.  I suspect you'll have the same experience.

    Standard consumer level monitors (CRT or LCD) are usually set with a 4:3
ratio such as 800 X 600.  A typical consumer level widescreen monitor is
looking for a resolution that follows a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio like my own 1600
X 900 setting.  In other words, a horizontal resolution of 1600 pixels wants
a vertical resolution of either 900 or 1000 pixels to conform (or at least
closely conform) to the widescreen standard.  The fact that your vertical
resolution is sitting at 1200 pixels instead of 900 or 1000 means that your
window into the "wonderful world of all that is computing" is rather
squashed.  I bet you've been wondering why people (and icons) seem much
fatter looking on your screen than they should look.             ;O}

    Dig out the driver disk and install it and then check the available
settings again.

    Next, Gamma and Brightness work similarly in that they either allow full
effect (set to 100%) or they reduce the amount of effect (anything less than
100%).  If a control is turned off, it simply means it's not affecting the
natural effect of the monitor in question in any way.  What you see is what
you get, so to speak.  It's not unusual to find either setting turned off or
set to 100%, so I wouldn't worry about those.  However, I have to ask what
you used to test the settings when you were trying to adjust them.  Was it a
professional or standard color testing pattern or did you use an image file
you already had on your drive?  If you used a true color calibration
pattern, I can only imagine that your picture looks much better than it did
before you started.  If you used an image from your drive, you might want to
reconsider and go find yourself a bunch of good patterns to play with.
:O)

Peace,
GMan