-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Disk...AGAIN!!!

  • From: "keith" <kword88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 17:38:33 -0400

My forty gig drives report a capacity of 37.2 gig using fat32 under
winxp so 32gig isnt the limit.i would say use the FDISK program again
and check for non-dos partitions,logical partitions,etc. and delete any
you find.

> Does anyone know at what size it is that a hdd can be before windows
> 95/98/ME has a problem, as I remember reading a few days ago, some
> info concerning the max size windows 95/98/ME will see due to
> limitations with FAT. Though according to whatever it was I appear to
> be fine for now as I
am
> running XP with it formated as NTFS

OK, from the experience I have gathered together since I started trying
to install my 80gb monster, it seems up to a 33gb partition  is ok for
FAT32, but over 32gb it needs NTFS..I found this out when I was just
partitioning using the (excellent) disc manager software that IBM has on
their site for download..You use a slider to create your partitions, and
the circle that represents your hard drive fills in like a
pie-chart..When I was creating the partitions, it showed the cluster
size (which increases as you make a partition larger), and when I tried
to create a partition of over 33gb, the colour of the partition changes
and you can only  create it if you use NTFS.

So the trick is, if you want everything as FAT32, keep it under 33 gb
and you should be ok

Cheers

Andy