-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Disk...AGAIN!!!

  • From: "andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:22:05 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darryl" <minoddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:38 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Disk...AGAIN!!!

> Does anyone know at what size it is that a hdd can be before windows
> 95/98/ME has a problem, as I remember reading a few days ago, some info
> concerning the max size windows 95/98/ME will see due to limitations with
> FAT. Though according to whatever it was I appear to be fine for now as I
am
> running XP with it formated as NTFS

OK, from the experience I have gathered together since I started trying to
install my 80gb monster, it seems up to a 33gb partition  is ok for FAT32,
but over 32gb it needs NTFS..I found this out when I was just partitioning
using the (excellent) disc manager software that IBM has on their site for
download..You use a slider to create your partitions, and the circle that
represents your hard drive fills in like a pie-chart..When I was creating
the partitions, it showed the cluster size (which increases as you make a
partition larger), and when I tried to create a partition of over 33gb, the
colour of the partition changes and you can only  create it if you use NTFS.

So the trick is, if you want everything as FAT32, keep it under 33 gb and
you should be ok

Cheers

Andy