-=PCTechTalk=- - Re: Hard Disk...AGAIN!!!

  • From: "andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:09:29 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "keith" <kword88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 12:11 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Hard Disk...AGAIN!!!

> Have you checked for a BIOS update? Or did the drive come with "drive
> overlay software" ? Is it possible to manually input the drive
> parameters in the BIOS ?

The bios is showing the correct size, so thats not where the problem lies,
it's when I try to fdisk and set the partitions that the size is showing
wrong (12993mb instead of 82.3gb)  The motherboard is only a couple of
months old anyway, and it is ATA33/66/100 compatible.

ANYWAY.....I have a bit of success

The drive itself came with absolutely no software (It's an IBM Deskstar 120
gxp 82.3gb) but I have downloaded the disk manager software from their
website . With that, the size is showing as 76gb!!! I've used that to
partition and format into the sizes that I want and all seems well now, even
though I am 6 gb short of the size advertised..quite why, I don't know!!

Now, the next bit will come when I try to use Drive Copy to move my o/s..I
hope that goes smoother, but somehow, I doubt it!!!

One other question..when I was setting up the hard drive on the IBM disc
manager, I noticed it asked whether I was going to be using the partition as
storage or for an o/s-any idea why it asked this? I thought as long as a
partition was formatted ok, it could be used for anything?

Cheers

Andy