-=PCTechTalk=- Re: GMan -----Question about creating a Acronis image

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:51:03 +1300

Gman!

Thank you kindly, HOWEVER

as we are 18 hours ahead of you, and as I was up trialling Acronis at
5am, I was able to beat you to the punch (not that I would have dared to
be so impertinent had I expected your message) and downloaded techterm
explanations for all acronyms you mention, plus BUS, CMOS, CTP, EUP,
FiOS, IDE, OLAP, PPGA (not the Pretty People Golfers' Association),
Ultra DMA, FSB, DMA, and a few more as well.

With respect, I think the explanations at www.techterms.com are rather
more accurate than Wikipedia ( which I have viewed with reservation
since I believe it has  quasi-blog origins).

NOW, I have also trialled more Acronis, "Format partition I">open
Acronis>Backup>My computer>Disks and Partitions>_"CreateFull Backup
Archive from C to file I:/ (*see 2 below) My backup 24.2.08_> Operation
1 of 2>_Creating Partition Image_>toHard Disk I Drive letter C Size 32.23GB"

Started 12.50pm Completed 13.29!! (v. quick after the longhand method I
have been persevering with, but is it as safe??).
I have tried testing a number of files and so far they all seem to work
OK,  BUT

1. Backup file on I is only 22.2GB, so does that mean  the other 10GB is
the OS etc?? ( I hope to clone OS to G tomorrow)

*2. When looking at options for "Restore to", you get "Original" or
"Different" location. You are asked to create a new file name; however
when I hit the Reverse Solidus key on my keyboard, it comes out as #.
This makes it rather difficult to type a File path!!

This is also strange, because when I hit the same key in a MS Word Doc,
it comes out correctly.
My keyboard is set up as "English- New Zealand", however I have tried
"English - UK" and "English - USA" without success. I may try "English -
Serbia" and/or "English - Eskimo" to see if they help.

3. I still have to backup Mozilla AND Thunderbird and so far cannot get
Mozbackup to work.I think this was originally recommended by Beth
Ellison on 2nd March last year, but it appears I didn't thank her at the
time; I hope she will forgive me now

4.  There are two other questions I should like to pose, but as one
involves a Confession, I must think about it carefully

Roger W.