-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Curiosity may kill the reckless maverick

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 00:01:23 -0400

I googled and found a forum with my exact question.... unfortunately, as
is usually the case in such forums, there was lots of comments but no
answers.

Once you finish wrapping this one, I have another...

Every once in a while something changes setup to give boot priority to
my 500GB drive instead of the 160GB drive where Vista and XP are
installed.  When I turn the computer on I get a very nice explanation
that the system could not boot because the hardware configuration is
incorrect.  I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, enter setup go to boot priority and
set it to the 160GB drive and it reboots correctly.  For a while.

Today, when I first entered setup to fix the problem, the 160GB drive
was not even listed as a choice.  I exited, rebooted, pressed F2 to get
the boot menu and the 160 wasn't listed there either.  I rebooted again
to the boot menu and there it was.  I selected it and things booted as
normal.

First question that pops to mind is:  What changes the boot priority in
Setup?
Second question is:  What can cause the hard drive to disappear and then
magically reappear after 2 or 3 three-finger-salutes?

My first inclination is to suspect HP has done something to make people
regret doing things with their computer that HP doesn't want them to
do.  That may sound paranoid, but they have made their computers do (or
not do) other things that don't make sense so I would not put this past
them.

Don

Gman wrote:
> Don,
>     I'm still working on wrapping my head around the details.  If I come up
> with a possible maybe, I'll reply to one or both of the previous posts on
> this.     lol
>
> Peace,
> Gman
>
> http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php