-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Curiosity may kill the reckless maverick

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 16:32:37 -0400

Below

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:12 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Curiosity may kill the reckless maverick

> So far the problem has happened only when booting from a power off
> state.  And, IIRC, only when I leave it alone to boot to the default OS
> (Vista).
>
> The idea of it being a power or data cable would have occurred to me if
> it did not appear to be an intermittent occurrence and if it did not fix
> itself after a couple of three finger salutes.

Intermittent NEVER excludes the possibility of a hardware issue, even a cord
or cable.  All it takes is a nearly broken lead or a little corrosion on a
single contact to bring down a system, even intermittently.  Pull each end
of the data cables and reseat them to fix the corrosion issue.  Replace them
to fix a broken wire.  If you're not in a position to replace, even as a
test, at least reseat them.

> If we assume it is indeed a cable or its connection, I would assume the
> change in setup is because the drive is not seen and setup automatically
> changes it settings to the other drive.

Correct.

> I will try to pay more attention to this over the next few days and note
> the circumstances on each boot where it occurs.  Perhaps we will get
> some more clues.  In July or August I will be ordering a new power
> supply and video card for the HP (and a new video card for the old Dell
> and some additional memory for our laptops).  That will eliminate the
> power cord as a possibility.  I may go ahead and order some new data
> cables as they appear to be reasonably cheap (as low as $1.99 at
> Newegg).   Until then I will take notes and live with the problem.

Living with the problem would be rather reckless!       lol

> Another option will be to take the 160 out of the HP and swap it with
> the 250GB in the Dell.
>
> HP has demonstrated to me that they are not happy with customers that
> want to make their computers work in anyway other than the way HP wants
> them to work.   Without intending to sound paranoid, is there anything
> in the CMOS or BIOS that HP could muck with that would cause or
> contribute to problems like this?

They can tie a BIOS to a specific mobo and they can use proprietary parts to
keep out compeditor's hardware, but they can't control partitioning,
multi-booting, etc..  If you are running their version of the operating
system, they can also try to limit many software options, but I don't see
any way how that would have this effect.

> Don

in the Subject.