[pchelpers] Re: Networking - Calling on all computer gurus for help

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ekhart GEORGI <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>(last name last)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:37:28 -0600

Hi Ekhart,

(re-sending)

Based on what you say, it sounds like you don't have NAT or DHCP turned on
in the modem/router, so the computers are getting IP addresses
assigned by the ISP.  Around here, you're generally expected to pay
per public IP address; you might ask your ISP if they do that.

EGlnl> It seems my combination ADSL modem + router has NAT possibility, but
EGlnl> it's apparently not activated and i couldn't find any info on the
EGlnl> manufacturer's site on how to do that:
EGlnl> (ftp://ftp.avaks.com/rr44/rr44specsUK.pdf
EGlnl> http://www.avaks.com/RR44.html?id=H7Vf7K8z)
EGlnl> I guess that i'll have to call them.

The page says "configurable with browser".

Go to http://10.0.0.2. When prompted, the user name is "admin" and the
password is "password" or "conexant".  NAT is under the Configuration
menu.  Details here:
ftp://ftp.avaks.com/rr44/3c07T%20RoadRunner%2040B-44B%20UK.pdf

EGlnl> I do seem to have public IP addresses on all the three computers i have
EGlnl> on my home network, and since this seems to be the most common situation
EGlnl> at least in this country, TCP/IP as the default home networking protocol
EGlnl> looks like a fairly common and in any case completely unnecessary
EGlnl> problem literally created by MS.

All the routers that I've seen here, so far, seem to have NAT on by
default. Yours appears to have it off by default.

EGlnl> I've got my XP and 98 connected now, and the IP addresses are
EGlnl> 80.186.147.187
EGlnl> 80.186.158.35
EGlnl> I found some info somewhere that said these are public. Is that true?

Yes.

EGlnl> default gateway: 80.186.128.1

"Elisa Internet Ltd"

EGlnl> How can i find out what is visible from outside? I ran the Sygate scan
EGlnl> on http://scan.sygate.com/probe.html and got the following result for
EGlnl> the XP (and the equivalent for the 98) with the same IP addresses, but
EGlnl> it seems to also say that my outside address could still be something
else?:
EGlnl>   We have determined that your IP address is 80.186.147.187
EGlnl> This is the public IP address that is visible to the internet.
EGlnl> Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a
EGlnl> router, proxy or firewall.

At work, my computer has a public IP address. However, due to
corporate firewall and proxy server, my IP address is not visible to
the outside; instead the IP address of the proxy server is what web
sites see.

The SyGate scan tells you what is visible from the outside.

You might also try ShieldsUp! a https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
-- it has fairly good documentation.

EGlnl> No hurry answering

Good, because I had to think about my reply.  ;)

--Scott.