[pchelpers] Re: DSL Connection Problem

  • From: Gerald Gollinger <gerald3nyc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 06:16:21 -0800 (PST)

Scott,

  When the DSL modem is connected to the phone line that internal modem is not.
 While there is a modular cord plugged into the PC  at all times  the  DSL
modem and internal modem are not in operation at once.  The DSL modem is
plugged into the PC with an Ethernet cable and when the DSL modem is in
operation the internal modem is not.  That is the reason for switching modular
plugs. I suspect the problem is with the DSL modem.  But Verizon wants the
splitter removed and the splitter is attached to the wall behind a lot of
furniture and the modular cord(s) go into the splitter jack one at a time.

  Something new happened with the PC this morning.  But if there is a problem
with the PC  I will start a new thread.

   - Gerald
Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Gerald,

GG> When I restart my PC DSL does not work. I then switch modular
GG> plugs and used a free service for New York City called Metconnect.
GG> Someone can use any dial up service. I leave the dial up on for
GG> several minutes and disconnect. Then I connect my DSL modular
GG> plug. Presto DSL works.

Are you saying that you unplug the phone line from the DSL modem, dial
up, disconnect after a few moments, plug the DSL line back in, and it
works? I'm asking because you said above that you "switch" plugs.

Is this a problem with the DSL modem connecting to the service, or a
problem with your computer talking to the DSL modem? You will probably
be able to see the difference in the lights on the modem. Knowing
this will identify which direction to look in.

GG> The only clue I have is that I leave the internal modem modular
GG> plug in the PC at all times. I also use a splitter since the
GG> modular jack is behind some furniture and is troublesome to keep
GG> moving it about.

GG> What do you think of the setup? Sounds weird but it works.

The weirdness may be part of the problem. The splitter is a potential
source of problem (flaky? Works better when warm?), and having the
other leg always plugged into the dial-up modem may also be a problem,
since too many devices on a phone line can cause some to not work
properly.

--
Scott.

Regards, John Durham (list moderator)