Re: two databases in a server

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:54:24 -0800 (PST)

My tuppence worth ...

Putting lots of applications in a single database per server is a fine
principle, but there are two very clear red flags:

i) Application vendor support, particularly with regard to versions/patches
ii) Disparate database types: DSS and OLTP for example, where tuning goals do
not align.

In practice, I think that this means that the candidates for single database
treatment are ...

i)  in-house developments where you are responsible for your own support
ii) applications that make minimal use of DB vendors' specific features (and
which are thus less likely to be patch and version-level sensitive) ie. the
dreaded database-agnostic app.