Re: two databases in a server

  • From: "bill thater" <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:12:00 -0600

On 3/30/06, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Generally it's bad because there is a certain level of resource
> consumption for an instance of any size.  So pay the price ONCE and have
> an instance large enough to do all the work needed by all the
> applications using the database.  There can be cases where multiple
> instances on the same box are needed, but many cases that I have seen it
> was not needed.  Many times folks can use one instance (or at least
> fewer instances) to get the work done.

on the other hand, i've been in situations where pat of a set of
applications can't be upgraded and another part needs to be.

which then introduces the "do we need another server?" question.

Bill "Shrek" Thater     ORACLE DBA
"While preceding your entrance with a grenade is a good tactic in
Quake, it can lead to problems if attempted at work." -- C Hacking