Re: two databases in a server

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:42:09 +0200

Hi Tom,

These are two extreme.

   - 30 servers with two DB's - too much efforts unless proper software
   management/deployment method plus monitoring is implemented.
   - Having 30 DB's on single machine is another extreme because one
   going "crazy" will impact others. Monitoring can be also a bit more
   difficult in this case. Also big machines with many DBs and many disks are
   less stable and boot time can be quite high in case it goes down or needs to
   be rebooted.

I would prefer in this case something in the middle - like 5 machines each
hosting 6 DBs. Here you can flexibility to group them to get more convenient
maintenance windows as well as limit system outage impact.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Best regards,