RE: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

  • From: DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:58:52 -0400

Sorry about that.  We have 7 "production/run" DBAs and 6 "plan/build" DBAs
on the infrastructure side, and around 50+ application DBAs with some
others that wear the developer & application DBA hats simultaneously.

The "run" infrastructure DBAs have some overlap, as some applications have
no application DBA support at all.

The DB2, SQL Server & DB2/UDB databases are supported by DBAs dedicated to
those engines.

We do have good monitoring/availability tools and an excellent selection
of tuning tools.

"Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

04/02/2009 02:25 PM
Please respond to dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx

From
"Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"'DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

The thing missing in your post is how many DBA's you have for 650
databases and another issue would be what/how many tools you have.   We
have 4 dba's and a dba manager here.  The dba's are assigned a certain
number of applications (128 total) to support, both SQL and Oracle, and
perform whatever tasks pertain to that.  We overlap and cross train enough
to maintain at least a minimum proficiency in our "weak" database
technology and application knowledge.

.

Donald Freeman
Database Administrator II