Re: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cshapi@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:08:00 -0700

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Chen Shapira <cshapi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Our team is currently moving away from the silo models. Our main
> reason for this was how the database management practices differed
> between applications. Two out of five applications use datapump, the
> rest use the old export. Few applications have online redo and archive
> on the same volume, others have separate volumes. We even found
> ourselves with different scripts for generating the daily AWR report.

I will play devil's advocate and say that this doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with the organizational architecture.

There may be very valid reasons for these

old export: already have working scripts, no need for any of the new
features in expdp.

redo and archive location:  highly dependent on transaction volume
and hardware architecture

different scripts:  they may provide different output based on the
same information - consolidating these to a fewer number of scripts
is usually not worth the effort IMO - the consolidated scripts become
unwieldy and hard to manage.

> Just make sure that this does not happen to you, because consolidating
> everything back to sensible standards is a real pain.

DA here again:  'best fit' may also be a standard.

Jared Still