Re: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

  • From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:12:47 +1300

we do #2, in teams of 2-3 DBAs  per group of 40-odd databases (600+ oracle
databases in total). Each system has a cheatsheet to outline any
idiosyncrises, support people etc. It's important to keep this up to date as
its used by the oncall DBAs as well.  The datatabases are shuffled between
teams periodically to give them wider exposure.

MSSQL, DB2, mysql, Informix have their own DBAs.

#1 didn't seem to work too well previously, leads to the silo-mentality
("not my problem" - people doing a half-assed job) and a kind of caste
system with the "run" DBAs at the bottom, and the apps/project guys up top.

my 2c...
JW