Re: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

  • From: Patty.Charlebois@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:35:51 -0400

In the small company that I currently work in, we do not segregate duties at
all in the DBA team.  Everyone does whatever needs to be done on a day-to-day
basis and only specific projects are assigned to a particular DBA.

In my previous life when I worked in a much larger company, we used the 'DBA
silo' approach where a given DBA was assigned to a specific application.  This
worked very well as the DBA was able to do a little bit of everything and the
application team always knew which DBA to chase down if they needed something.

Patty

DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2009/04/02 01:54 PM
Please respond to
DEEDSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
survey - DBA structure in your company ?

We are a reasonably large corporation, with 650 Oracle databases.  We are
having a bit of internal discussion going on concerning different support
models:

(1) Having separation of duties for DBAs: one DBA area in responsible for
infrastructure across all databases and another group doing application DBA
work across multiple application databases, closer to the applications and
their data or (2) Doing DBA work in silos: one DBA would be responsible for a
certain set of applications and databases end-to-end, responsible for all
infrastructure and application data work for that set of applications

We currently have a structure like this:

We have systems DBAs that are responsible for the database infrastructure -
installing the server software & patching, tuning at the instance level,
monitoring db server capacity, backup & recovery, adding sizing datafiles,
disaster recovery, database creation, user & security administration, 24x7
level 3 support.

We have application DBAs that are closer to the application data, and are
responsible for creating and maintaining the application schema objects
(tables, indexes, etc), some SQL statement tuning, logical backups (exp/imp) of
application objects, data loads, 24x7 level 2 support.

I am curious what other folks are doing.

This e-mail is confidential, intended solely for the use of the
recipient(s) to whom it was addressed. If you have received it
in error, please do not copy or distribute this e-mail. We ask
that you notify us immediately by replying to the sender and
then delete this e-mail. E-mail sent or received over the
internet may not be secure. You should use caution when sending
e-mail messages containing private and confidential information
or consider other secure means to send the information. If you
have any questions regarding the authenticity or security of
the e-mail you have received please do not hesitate to contact
us at 1-800-265-5615.

Ce message de courriel est confidentiel et s?adresse uniquement
à la personne indiquée.  Si vous l?avez reçu par erreur,
veuillez ne pas copier ni distribuer ce message de courriel.
Nous vous demandons de nous aviser immédiatement en répondant à
l?expéditeur, puis en supprimant ce message.  Les messages
envoyés ou reçus par courriel pourraient ne pas être sécurisés.
Vous devriez être prudent lorsque vous envoyez des messages de
courriel contenant des renseignements confidentiels et privés
ou songer à prendre d?autres moyens sécurisés pour envoyer les
renseignements.  Si vous avez des questions concernant
l?authenticité ou la sécurité d?un courriel que vous avez reçu,
n?hésitez pas à communiquer avec nous au 1 800 265-5615.