Re: how to prevent DBA burnout?

  • From: Marc Bruinsma <marc.bruinsma@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gurenich@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:30:51 +0200

Well,

Give them (the DBA's) the time and opportunity to make structural changes where necessary instead of having them fight the same fires over and over again, because that gets very old very quickly.

This could mean maybe more storage, more RAM (as someone already pointed out), but more importantly, it means listening to their advice, instead of just making them jump through the same hoop day after day. I've seen this happen too many times, and I've been there as well, and it doesn't make for a happy workplace.

Maria Gurenich wrote:
I would add: as a DBA, I appreciate if my boss is reasonably lavish with the budget. having grid control, diagnose packs, other handy monitor tools makes my live way too easier.. :)

and, vacation, vacation, vacation!!! not less than 3 weeks (for starters) :))))))))))

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Jerry Cunningham <jerry59grp@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry59grp@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi all...
I came across this question on twitter
    (http://twitter.com/Michael_Corey). How do you prevent DBA burnout?
I know there are a lot of smart people on this list - any
    thoughts? I replied via my blog (more than 140 chars!)... here are
    my 2 cents:
===

    1) Communicate with them regularly.  Forget business/corporate
    formality - everybody you work with /is simply a person/. From the
    security guard at the front desk to the CEO. How is life? Are you
    happy? What is stressing you out? If there are problems, what can
    I do to help?

    2) Don’t forget how hard it is to find good people. At a previous
    job, when interviewing for a vacancy, I had interviewed for weeks
    without a promising candidate. This made me realize how good the
    people we had were, and I told them so. I told them, that while
    they were working harder due to the staffing shortage, I was not
    going to settle for less than the high standard they had set.

    3) If somebody resigns (and you value them) - make them a counter
    offer immediately. It amazes me how often this does not happen.
    Or, the employee is asked “what can I do to keep you?”. Too vague
    - make a concrete offer.

    ===
Jerry
    http://jerrycunningham.wordpress.com