RE: how to prevent DBA burnout?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gurenich@xxxxxxxxx>, <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:33:04 -0400

    Outsourcing is not a good answer at all, take it from someone who
has been on the other side.  All I wanted to do was bill the customer
for as much as possible while doing the least I could get away with.
How about doing a performance analysis from the golf course?  Also
uptime of the database and application server were my bench marks.
Didn't really matter it it took half an hour to do something small.
Must be crappy code, or WAN problems.  And don't even try to get into a
data corruption issue.  Sure I could fix it, give me 40 hours at $$$ per
hour as it's "OUT of SCOPE" work.  OH, I love it.

    Bottom of the barrel, an outsourced DBA is nothing more than a pain
in the backside.  You get what you pay for and probably less than that.
And they really have no care about your data, the real protection
thereof or the code that your deploying.  Their real interest is their
companies GOP (Gross Operating Profit).

    And IF I ever hear that term again, I'm going to kill someone!

Dick Goulet