Re: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 14:20:27 +0000

On that argument mySQL which was the comparison point doesn't have a GUI
either. mySQL workbench does run in a native GUI environment, but it talks
to a middle tier as well (the backend).  To be honest I don't buy the
argument anyway. HTML interfaces are generally GUI interfaces in my book
(they are a user interface which is graphical rather than a command line
that parses command line parameters) about the only HTML interfaces that I'd
regard as GUI are the search engines.

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Sorry, grid control is HTML, it is not GUI, and the difference is
> noticeable.  At the most basic level, grid control is a 3 tier application,
> while a GUI front end is single tier.
>

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Michael McMullen <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>>  #2 is true, I took over the management of two db’s that unskilled users
>> installed and managed themselves to the point the db was inoperable.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info