Re: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:54:19 -0500

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This discussion keeps coming back to the Oracle Database, but I thought the
> OP was asking about the Oracle Berkeley DB as an embedded DB.  Did we get
> off track?
> <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/overview/index.html>

Fair point.  I have zero experience with Berkeley DB so I've stayed out of
the fray. But I do have experience with Oracle's "embedded" license
structure and depending on the application and how embedded the database
actually is, Oracle offers up to an 80% discount on the price.  Not bad.

But, regarding the OP's original question "Why is Oracle unaffordable?" we
must remember it is customers who drive the price up, not Oracle.