RE: Why is Oracle unaffordable?

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx" <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:17:35 +0100

Just as quick addition to the licensing cost for small companies.
If you look at the cost for a standard edition one edition with named user
licenses, then you see you would pay less then € 900 for 5 named users (the
minimum number of NUP licenses). I don't think this is expensive for enterprise
software.

Of course, when you want a 5 node cluster replicating to another 5 node
cluster, the cost is a little bit higher.

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
#2 is true, I took over the management of two db’s that unskilled users
installed and managed themselves to the point the db was inoperable.