Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

  • From: "Limin Guo" <lguo.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:43:15 -0500

Brandon and Robert:

Very interesting to know that it actually save time for you to use
RMAN compression than not use it.

Do you use different CONFIGURE when using compression? like channels ,
parallelization, etc.

I have just run another test in a Solaris test box (Solaris 8 with 4
processors, Oracle 10.2.0.3). The results are consistent with my last
post. The database is 15g, the regular backupsets are 14g and
compressed backupsets are 2.4g. The backup time with compression on
takes over twice as long.

The backupsets are written to a RAID5 volume with ADA disks in
Clariion storage. All Oracle datafiles sit on RAID5 volume with
fiber-channel disks in the same storage, but different tray. So there
should be no competing I/O between them, I hope.

The backup script performs a level 0 backup and then restore the
backupsets for validating purpose.  Here are the time results:

               without compression                 with compression
backup                  13 min                                33min
restore validate       13 min                                26min

During both tests, I monitored machine with sar (interval of 5
seconds), there are no noticeable differences between compressed one
and non-compressed one. On average:

user            25 - 40%
sys             single digit
wio              10 - 25%

If I am CPU bounced, I should see high user% during compressed rman
backup, shouldn't I? but I did not. however I do see little high user%
in restore validate process in non-compressed mode. If I am I/O
bounced, I should see the backup without compression takes longer
time, am I right?

The rman commands used for the testing:

      set $ENABLE_ENCRYPTION;
      crosscheck archivelog all;
      delete noprompt obsolete;
      backup $AS_COMPRESSED $BKUP_LEVEL database;
      delete noprompt obsolete;
      set $ENABLE_DECRYPTION;
      restore validate database;
      restore validate spfile to 'restore_spfile.ora';
      restore validate controlfile to 'restore_control01.ctl';
      report unrecoverable;

All variables are substituted during run time. BKUP_LEVEL is 0.

The CONFIGURE in the database.

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1;
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED;
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default
CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'/vw01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/Db_1/dbs/snapcf_NSTPS.f'; # default

The hardware information:

System Configuration: Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire V440
System clock frequency: 183 MHZ
Memory size: 20GB

==================================== CPUs ====================================
                      E$          CPU     CPU       Temperature         Fan
       CPU  Freq      Size        Impl.   Mask     Die    Ambient   Speed   Unit
       ---  --------  ----------  ------  ----  --------  --------  -----   ----
         0  1281 MHz  1MB         US-IIIi  2.4       -        -
         1  1281 MHz  1MB         US-IIIi  2.4       -        -
         2  1281 MHz  1MB         US-IIIi  2.4       -        -
         3  1281 MHz  1MB         US-IIIi  2.4       -        -

I am going to dig into it more and see why I don't see what you guys have seen.

Thank you for sharing your information.

Limin.

--
Regards,