Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:19:30 -0600

On Nov 26, 2007 4:49 PM, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also one bit of sadder news.  I performed an RMAN duplication the
> Friday before last that took over 25 hours.  However I really don't
> want to even start any kind of diagnosis until we at least move RMAN
> storage to different disk.

Well I'm in the midst of another insanely-long duplication.  The /rman
on the auxiliary server is indeed on the same spindles as the rest of
the datafiles, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

The recovery process is going through the "cataloged datafile copy"
for each datafile in the instance.  Messages like this:

cataloged datafile copy
datafile copy filename=/u10/oradata/stage/txbill_idx13.dbf recid=210
stamp=640430010

However, each of these take 3-4 minutes, judging by the duplication
log updates.  When I have hundreds of datafiles, 3-4 minutes each is
an incredibly long time.  Nothing is being written to the aux instance
alert log during this period.

It seems that since we moved production to 64-bit hardware, this
duplications went from 9-10 hours (which I thought was way too long)
to 25-26 hours (which is a horrible joke).  I'm going to pour over
some of the online guides and Robert Freeman's 10g RMAN book.  If
anyone has any tips or cluebats, swing away.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.wordpress.com