RE: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lguo.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>, <don@xxxxxxxxx>, "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 08:36:41 -0700

That has not been my finding with 10.2.0.2 on AIX 5.3.

My backups to Netbackup (disk staging pool, not straight to tape) are
actually *faster* with compression on.  I'm backing up about 250GB worth
of datafiles and without compression, the backup is only slightly
smaller than the database itself and runs in about 4.5 hours, but with
compression the backup only 36GB and completes in only 2.5 hours.  I've
seen this result consistently for a few months now after switching back
and forth between compressed and non-compressed.  I still have to do
more testing to do on the restore side, but so far it looks like
restores of the compressed backupsets may take signifcantly longer than
restores of the non-compressed backupsets - maybe twice as long.