Re: Tuning RMAN backup and recovery

Thank you, Ranko.

Of course, I was simplifying for the purpose of explanation.

As it happens, the platters all spin synchronously, and -- as you point out
yourself -- the heads all move synchronously.  That there are multiples of
each is actually completely irrelevant with respect to understanding basic
disk drive physics, or the nature of "I/O contention".  In terms of
"geometry", the disk effectively still *logically *has one head and one
platter.  The actual number of heads and platters generally affects only one
thing: transfer rate.  And transfer rate itself is almost meaningless in the
context of single-block random reads -- at least as long as
(average-seek-time + rotational-latency) exceeds single block transfer time
by orders of magnitude.

When I referred to disks with "multiple heads" no longer existing, I was
actually referring to "multiple heads *per platter*".  Such things *used* to
exist (N independent heads per platter increases random I/Os per second by a
factor of *at least* N, and with a good scheduling algorithm, much better
than that) but I have not seen such a device in a very long time.

The references you have linked to do look quite good.  I have not read them
in detail, but these do look like good resources for somebody who wants to
better understand how disk drives work.  And a good basic understanding of
disk drive behaviour is very important indeed to a DBA trying to tune I/O
performance.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead