Re: Oracle on VMS?

  • From: Chris Gait <zhouyi235@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:28:11 -0500

I haven't worked with a VMS instance since my first contact with
Oracle products in the early 90s, so no practical experience to share
with you.

And that's my point.

Most people don't use Oracle on VMS today and haven't for years,
whereas Oracle on Linux is a large and growing community. Since there
is such a small user community there will be less collective knowledge
about problems. There is also less incentive for Oracle to put in
extra effort on solving problems for OS ports with small amounts of
users (and thus less licenses and smaller amounts of $$$). That is a
business factor your management should consider.

No offence to the VMS users, by the way. Those I've met have tended to
be very skilled and experienced (i.e. they think everyone reads novels
in hexadecimal).

Regards,
Chris Gait

--