Re: Oracle on VMS?

  • From: Paul Baumgartel <paul.baumgartel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ellis R. Miller" <outlawdba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:24:01 -0400

Ellis,

I agree wholeheartedly.  VMS is a great OS but it's not the way to go.

What's troubling me now is how much Linux costs!  Red Hat is quoting
me $2100 a year per server, with support. We pay a whole lot less for
Windows, without support, but with the availability of per-incident
support at $245 a pop. As much I want to go to Linux, I'm going to
have a hard time selling the senior exec. management that they should
shell out $17k a year for the OS on 8 servers when Windows costs about
a fifth as much.  Sigh.

PB

--
Paul Baumgartel