Re: Open Source Database Questions

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:58:27 -0400

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:06:16AM -0400, Goulet, Richard wrote:
>       From past experience (which had the same motives) take a serious
> look at PostGreSql(http://www.postgresql.org/).  The latest versions
> have a lot in common with Oracle, though not everything, so it's a lot
> easier to transition from one to the other.

yeah, these guys are fabulous.  They have a very stable bunch of developers and
their code testifies to that.  And you can purchase support if needed:
  http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
Very serious db software.  We've use it in production for years for many apps.
Cisco SAN network managment app supports it as does our enterprise wiki from
atlassian.