Re: Open Source Database Questions

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:16:42 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----

From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: regdba@xxxxxxxxx; Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:58:27 AM
Subject: Re: Open Source Database Questions

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 11:06:16AM -0400, Goulet, Richard wrote:
>     From past experience (which had the same motives) take a serious
> look at PostGreSql(http://www.postgresql.org/).  The latest versions
> have a lot in common with Oracle, though not everything, so it's a lot
> easier to transition from one to the other.

yeah, these guys are fabulous.  They have a very stable bunch of developers and
their code testifies to that.  And you can purchase support if needed:
  http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support
Very serious db software.  We've use it in production for years for many apps.
Cisco SAN network managment app supports it as does our enterprise wiki from
atlassian.
--

A very large IDS vendor is also moving away from Oracle as it's backend to
PostgreSQL because of licensing costs.  I've also used it on some pet projects
of mine and I've found to be very easy and stable to use and very Oracle-like.
I love it's front end admin tool.

--
mohammed