index doesn't contain duplicates

  • From: Josh Collier <Josh.Collier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:11:22 -0700

All,

I have an table that has duplicate values for a column. I have a non-unique
index on this column. When I run a query that uses a fast full scan to retrieve
the rows, it only retrieves one of the two rows. When I force a full tablescan
both of the rows come back. I have used all my sql tricks to try my best to
determine if the value has trailining or leading non-printable characters and
it doesn't appear so. I have also moved the values into a varchar 11 field in
another table, the value is 11 chars long. Both of the duplicate rows where
accepted. Does anyone know of a bug or a reason why both of the rows wouldn't
appear in the index?

Thanks for your time,
Josh C.