RE: Open Source Database Questions

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <regdba@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:14:16 -0400

The open-source database options at this point - postgres, mysql, ingres, etc.
all have totally valid use cases in the enterprise today.  Basically, Postgres
is the most stable, as Dick says, similar concepts to Oracle, but not nearly as
flexible as MySQL and with fewer features.  MySQL offers a couple of different
kinds of replication and clustering, different types of tablespaces,
interchangeable storage engines, etc., but is comparably stable to Postgres.
Ingres is a little more nichey, but definitely workable.

The big differentiation is the amount of community knowledge - there's a lot of
good information on tuning, configuring MySQL out in the wild, and if you
wanted to purchase commercial support for MySQL there's a couple of different
avenues.  For PostgreSQL your best bet is to go get EnterpriseDB, which claims
Oracle compatibility, though my understanding is that "compatibility" is
relative.

The reason that they're using JTPCC is that it costs money to have an "audited"
TPC-C run, and non-trivial amounts.  Consequently, a lot of open-source
projects can't afford or don't want to try to compete with certified
benchmarks, so instead they use non-audited reimplementations of the various
benchmarks.

Matt

--
Matthew Zito