Re: OEM poll

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Reidy, Ron" <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 20:30:13 -0500

Performance tuning with GC is a bit tricky and for me it takes
sometimes a bit of guesswork. I do like  the time series charts for
SQL statements and SQL Activity reports.
I hate how they report wait events though - in number of sessions
waiting... that sounds very abstract and unless you really understand
how it works - it can be very misleading and hiding real problems just
like Statspack report for 6 hours period.

What I like in OEM very much is monitoring part.

Now that we are talking about it I cannot refrain from mentioning
Packs Licensing. Two words - it s*cks!
On the other hand I like the basic model - you don't have to license
hardware that is used to run GC so it's  easy to get couple Linux
boxes and you all set. If only Oracle makes packs "free"!

On 3/22/07, Reidy, Ron <Ron.Reidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'll second that.  I have been using GC for about 6 months for
management and perf tuning.  I like it, but I think some improvements
could be made, especially with the alerting mechanism.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev

http://www.oracloid.com