Re: Newbies welcome, or not?

  • From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:58:07 -0600

I, for one, welcome newbies (I find that I learn a great deal from them). To be
honest, certain members are blocked because their
questions are easily answered in the doc or other sites and I think a little
RTFM is appropriate before asking a question. Then
again (as I am finding out with dbms_metadata), the documentation is not always
as clear to one person as another. The way the
Oracle doc is written makes it difficult for me to solve problems by just
reading it (I learn by example, not an exhaustive rail
diagram).

At one time, we all (even the Goddess herself) were newbies, puzzled by the
'simplest' of problems. I am sure that the esteemed
gurus on the list have their fair share of self-deprecating stories. (Now,
there's a book!). Within 4 weeks of my first Oracle DBA
job (as a lowly junior), I was the only DBA in a 24x7 shop and the Unix admin
to boot. I had never worked on Unix and my only backup
was the Windows Network Help Desk technician. We both survived until the real
Admin returned from a 6 week overseas vacation (but
just barely!). If someone had said, 'You solve this with cd /;rm -r', we might
have done so...but we were both 'scared' enough that
we did not do anything that we *absolutely* did not have to do..then we usually
placed a service call to HP! During the tech boom
(at least here in the states), companies needed warm bodies to fill seats.
Consequently, your sys admin may have been a philosophy
major at Local U. and has never taken a computer class.

Let's also consider the language issue. As Rachel can tell, comments/humor does
not always translate between languages (or even
cultures speaking the same language). Since most of the posts are in English, I
would venture to say that a sizable number (probably
a majority) of list members are reading these posts in their non-native
language. Does Oracle publish documentation sets in
languages other than English? If not, I can imagine how difficult RTFM can be
for some.

The list is a public forum and each of us has a responsibility to contribute in
an appropriate manner. I have seen some of the posts
to CDOS and I am personally disgusted by them. If oracle-l begins to resemble
CDOS, I will say goodbye (please keep the cheering to
a dull roar). I joined this list to learn and to make a positive contribution
to the oracle community. I'll admit to making negative
posts in the past, but recent events have made it very clear that this and
other public forums require careful thought in posting.
If you want to add in a little humor, I see no problem with that. When in
doubt, make it *very* clear that you are not being serious.

Regards,
Daniel Fink